Sunday, 13 March 2011


This year I decided to order a mixed lot of 5 different types of potatoes. They have been happily chitting in a cool, light, frost free place (not an easy place to find in our house) but put them in the half finished porch.
Today I went to the allotment and planted the first earlies - Lady Christl, the second earlies - Kestrel and the salad type - Charlotte. Still got the main crop, Desiree and Maris Piper to go in, but needed to dig over another bed for these so left it for today.

I am also experimenting with the Strawberries, I cleared and weeded one third of the bed and added pelleted chicken manure and wood ash. I have read that wood ash is good for fruit, not sure if it was for strawberries or not. Will try something else like bone meal on the other part and compare.

No comments: