Sunday 24 January 2021

New boots and potatoes

Not a singe flake of snow here, but from looking at Instagram it seems everyone else in the country had loads.  It was very cold today with a hard frost this morning, not a day for walking or allotmenting so headed into town to do some shopping.

I have only had my walking boots for around one year, thought they were fine when I got them, but soon found out they were just too small.  After about 4 miles my feet really began to hurt especially my toes, so before we walk another step I needed to get new boots.  We watched some really interesting You Tube videos last night on how to choose outdoor clothes and boots.  I checked that Go Outdoors was open, the website said for essential items only and these were essential!



 After much deliberation, walking up and down and up and down the little bridge I chose these very soft and squidgy Peter Storm boots.

Wearing them in

After watching all the videos last night, I also ordered some walking socks, a rain coat or Outer Shell jacket and a waterproof fleece jacket.  Can't wait to get all my new kit and go out for a walk..  Have a couple to local walks along the Stour and Orwell Path to do, so will spend a little time with my map and plan them out this week and hope for a dry weekend ,

While we were out we popped over to Dean's Nursery in Great Bromley to get the seed potatoes for the allotment.  We have been buying them from this nursery for a few years as they sell them by weight and you can buy as many as you need, which is great as none go to waste.


 Last year we left it too late and had to order online, so was determined to get there on time this year.  We chose Aaron Pilot - enough for one row and two rows of Maris Bard, these are both earlies.  One row of Salad potatoes - Charlottes, these always do well on our plot and are great for potato salad and having with BBQ's.  For main crop we have Sarpo Mira - great for big baking potatoes, Sentanta -  again big potatoes and blight resistant and a new one to try - Orla, the pack says good for growing organically, which we do.  I will get them out and lay them on trays to start chitting soon.   

Next job is to sort through all my seeds, see what we have over and make a plan of what is needed and then get things ordered.  Hope to do that this week as the onions, leeks, peppers, chillis and aubergines really do need sowing now

 

No comments: