Sunday 17 January 2021

Winter weekend

Hey!  Guess what?  I am back.  After a 7 year break from blogging I am back.  A few weeks ago I realised that I missed my blog and wanted to start again, however I could not find my passwords, but tonight I cracked it and I am back in.  So where to start?  I think that I will just start with today - why not?

After a very busy few weeks, the ones leading up to Christmas and those following with 2 birhtdays there was lots going on, but this weekend there was nothing planned, no where to go as we are once again in lock down, so a quiet lazy weekend.  Saturday morning we woke up to snow, always exciting, and I love watching the flakes flutter down from the sky, so I stayed in bed and watched for a bit.

Had a parcel to post, so we wrapped up warm and walked to the post office and then a bit further, the snow then turned to rain and it was cold, we headed home to the warm and stayed in all afternoon.  Early evening we popped out to get our Tesco click and collect shopping and on the way reminisced that we used to go out on 

a Saturday night, out dancing, where I would get dressed up, hair and make up done and dance the night away.  That seems like a life time ago, even though it is only 11 months since we last went.  I miss it so much, and wonder if we will ever go again?

Today, Sunday was a much different day, with clear skies, sunshine and a bit warmer, we headed out for a long walk.  Debating how far we could go decided on Alton Water.  A short drive from home, only 6 miles but we had never been there - why ever not, no idea.


Leaving the car park we walked alongside the reservoir and across the dam, the wind was blowing across the water and it was quite chilly,  Then down a very muddy track through the woods and alongside a stream



 It was very pretty through here, after a while we came out on the road, near the Mill, crossed the road and headed down another footpath

At the end of this footpath we emerged from the trees onto the bank of the river Stour


 



Beautiful views along here, looking out across the river, to the side we are more familiar with, our own side of the river.


 We climbed down the bank to a little beach and sat down to eat our picnic lunch, just a roll and snack bar.  Looking to the far left we could see the industrial silos at Parkstone.  Directly opposite on the other bank, with binoculars we could see the beach huts at Wrabness, and to the right the TV mast at Bradfield.  After a short break we headed off to the end of this path along the bank and then across the fields to Stutton Church.


 Quite a pretty church at the end of a dead end lane, which was lined with some big grand houses, some had tennis courts and I am sure all had lovely views of the river.  Past an interesting wall

And on into the village of Stutton..  Along another lane and across fields until we reached the reservoir  and back to the car.


 I loved this walk, so many different things to see. I found this walk, whilst researching The Stour and Orwell Path, which we picked up along the river bank.  We also followed part of this 40 mile walk a couple of weeks ago when we walked in Pin Mill.  So would love to do more of this walk and I am planning on buying a map of the area and marking off where we walk.

Today's walk - 8KM or 5 miles, 2 1/2 hours, including stopping for lunch.  Parking £3.70


 

No comments: