Monday 3 August 2009

Changes

I have been trying to change the way I live for a couple of years now, maybe more for somethings. I think I have been taking glass bottles to the bottle bank for nearly 20 years.

It all started when I watched a tv programme about the amount of chemicals in cosmetics and what they could do to you. The said that some women could use around 40 different products in the morning just getting ready to go out to work.

This got me thinking and researching a bit. I think what I found was although most of these chemicals are probably safe, but there have been no tests on the cocktail of different things that we use each day.

So from then on I decided to try and replace everything I use. I could not afford just to throw everything away and buy new all in one go, so I decided to find a replacement as each thing ran out.

Other changes we have made are recyling, composting, saving electric and trying to find "green" cleaners. This is all work in progress, trying out new products, seeing what works for me and what doesn't. Still can't find a good mascara, but have changed toothpaste. We now use Kingfisher fennel toothpaste. When we ran out we used some "normal" aquafresh or something that was lurking in the back of the cupboard and it was dreadful, stung my gums and tasted so strong that I couldn't use it. I now keep stocked up on Kingfisher. I am trying out all sorts of cleaning products using borax and vinigar, will put the recipies on here when I get them sorted out.

No comments: